Friday 7 October 2011

What would you do if you won the lottery?

There is a lottery for $50Million.  There is another one here in Ontario for $100,000 a year for life, which is more than most people make in a year.

My wife asked me, "What would you do with your time if you won the lottery and no longer had to worry about earning money?"

The first thing that came to mind was to travel to England to do some additional research for my next novel.   So if I were to win the lottery, I would still want to write. I would still be a storyteller... with less stress.  

What would you do with your time if you won the lottery?

3 comments:

  1. First and foremost, I would pay off the debts of everyone close to me, and give them enough cash to help them move toward living their dreams.

    Then I would buy a small property either in Scotland or the south of France, where I could hide away from the world and just write, do art, and garden to my heart's content.

    The rest of the cash would go to various charities like Amnesty International, UNICEF, Waterkeeper Alliance, and animal protection agencies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run a theatre company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I'd have to carry on working. As what, I don't know, but I'd have to continue working. Don't get me wrong, I'd take more holidays and there'd definitely be more quality time spent with my beloved PS3 (I'm not as insane as that makes me sound, I promise), but I couldn't be travelling and gaming all the time. There'd have to be some kind of commitment, otherwise I'd go round the twist.

    But before I did anything else, I'd figure out what sum of money would give me financial security for the rest of my life, then bank it. And I wouldn't touch that money unless I managed to spend everything else. Then I'd pay off my mortgage.

    And something I'd love to do - there'd probably be legal issues though - would be to buy up all the empty shops in the town and make the rents affordable. I've had enough of start up businesses having to move away from the town or disappearing completely, just because the council's being greedy.

    I can't see myself splashing out on a private jet or anything like that though. I don't want or need one now and I simply don't see why a big Lottery win should change that.

    ReplyDelete